Oh my gosh. I haven’t been on my website and posted a recipe in months. I’m doing some major slacking over here. Sorry to anyone who follows me and was enjoying my posts! I’ve actually been cooking, baking and creating lots in the kitchen lately. I need to take more photos for my blog recipes and less for my Instagram stories (or ideally figure out how to do both in a time efficient manner).
Until then, here’s a healthy banana bread recipe for you all! I noticed the other day my bananas were getting ripe. A little too ripe. But I didn’t mind, and sort of purposefully didn’t eat them with the goal of using them in banana bread! Any excuse to bake 😉
It’s a fairly easy recipe and can be tinkered with to be vegan, dairy free, fat-free, etc. Yay for easy, versatile and delicious! That’s my kind of baking.
No Sugar Added Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Total time: 1 hours 5 minutes
- 1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (room temp)
- 2 eggs, room temp (preferably from pasture raised hens)
- 2 large bananas, very ripe (with dark brown spots)
- 1/3 cup milk (I used whole, organic cow’s milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 scoops collagen peptides (I use Vital Proteins)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup organic raisins (or other mix-in of choice)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan with coconut oil; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine melted coconut oil and apple sauce. Next, mash up the banana and add it to the oil + apple sauce mixture. Zap your milk in the microwave for 10 seconds to bring it to room temp (this is to prevent the coconut oil from hardening). Add milk to mixture. Whisk in room temp eggs; beat well.
3. Add the vanilla, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well. Next, add in the flour and collagen peptides; fold into wet mixture gently with a baking spatula or big spoon. No worries if it’s clumpy! Don’t over mix!
4. Lastly, add in the raisins (or your mix-in of choice). You don’t have to add any mix-ins at all, but it adds some natural sweetness if you’re looking for a sweet bread (since this has zero added sugar it’s not going to be very sweet).
5. Pour batter into your greased pan and bake on middle rack for 55 minutes. Tooth pick will come out clean when done! Let bread cool completely (to the touch) before cutting and serving. Enjoy!
I encourage you to play around with this recipe. It was fun to sprinkle extra raisins on top with more cinnamon. I looooove cinnamon. My house smelled amazing while this was baking! That’s probably one of my favorite parts. That, and eating my masterpieces fresh out-the-oven.